*Please contact Jason Fate at email@example.com or 412-828-8566 to enroll for the 2020-21 school year*
Lauri Ann West Community Center’s Arts & Enrichment Program is offered at the Center each day after school, following the FCASD calendar. It is a two hour program for Kindergarten through 5th grade students. The program is a unique combination of a relaxed atmosphere and enriching activities that are sure to inspire and complement individual interests.
- Program Fees: Parents must choose two consistent days of the week (based on their child’s cohort) for the entire fall (August-December) or spring (January-June) session. Fees are based on the number of consistent days. All A&E Families must become Program or Fitness Members.
- Registration: To register call 412-828-8566 x103 or email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Instructors: All Arts & Enrichment instructors and Lauri Ann West Community Center staff members have current Pennsylvania State Criminal History and Child Abuse clearances, as well as FBI background checks. Get to know our current instructors.
- Program Activities: The A&E program strives to present art activities, group projects and play that stimulate creativity and wonder while promoting a broader awareness and engagement with the world. This active, hands-on approach to learning promotes self-confidence and exploration while it provides children the opportunity to pursue their own unique, expressive solutions. Activities include: Art lessons and activities exploring a specific artist, musician, culture or historical period; cooking/baking; gardening; science experiments; acting and performance; sewing; exercise and outdoor play. Some time is also allotted each day for exploration of individual interests, such as reading, building with various materials, games, and creative, imaginative play.
- Maker Studio: The Lauri Ann West Community Center’s Maker’s Studio is a space for students to make, play and design using “real stuff” – the same materials, tools and processes used by professional artists, builders, programmers and creators of all kinds. It is a place where physical materials and digital media resources intersect; where students are encouraged to be curious, creative, experimental and innovative. By framing creative action as a means of problem-solving, our young makers explore their original ideas by using basic crafting skills like woodworking and sewing, as well as tech-based learning such as circuit making, digital imaging and stop-motion animation. Sample projects have included the construction of cardboard houses and furniture, experimentation of Sculpey clay and the creation of personal sculptures, the development of paper circuits, the design of pop-up books and the construction of a hydraulic hand. Interested in helping keep the Maker Studio stocked and thriving? Please consider donating materials from this list!
- Ratio and Social Interaction: Program and enrollment is capped each day, allowing for a low student-to-teacher ratio that emphasizes respectful social interaction. Children are encouraged to foster a healthy, inclusive group dynamic and develop friendships.
- Arrival and Departure: Children are welcomed as they arrive by bus from Fox Chapel Area Schools: Dorseyville, Fairview, Hartwood, Kerr and O’Hara. Parents pick up and sign out children inside the room, by 6:00 PM each day.
- Transportation: The Center provides bus transportation from Dorseyville, Fairview, Hartwood, Kerr and O’Hara. All children who register for the program will automatically be registered for the bus. If you do not wish bus transportation, you must email and request to completely opt out of the service.
- Snacks: Please send a nutritious snack for your child! Snack will be eaten when all of the children arrive, as sharing food together is an important part of socialization.
The Lauri Ann West Community Center is an equal opportunity facility committed to sustaining an inclusive culture. The Lauri Ann West Community Center does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.