Here is what’s happening at the Community Center the week of November 9:
- Virtual group ex schedule
- Why join the Community Center
- Drive-thru toy drive
- United Way campaign
- Mindfulness moment
We know that this is a crazy time for everyone. So if you’re busy at home or have too much going on with work, we still want you to be able to take your favorite classes from the Center. Check out this week’s virtual schedule and grab a spot in Mindbody!
Join now and we’ll waive the $100 join fee!
When you join the Community Center, you become part of something bigger. Whether you’re an adult looking for a new fitness challenge and support to reach your goals, or a family looking for a great place to get active and spend quality time together, the Community Center is here for you.
If you’re already a member, thank you! Please spread the word if you have friends or neighbors that would like to join. If you aren’t yet a member, please consider joining us.
As soon as you join you’ll have access to:
- One free personal training session
- Use of the fitness center and elevated track
- 34 group ex classes per week
- Open gym and open pickleball
- Programming and rental discounts
Saturday, December 5 from 12-3pm at the Community Center
During this time of social distancing, the Pittsburgh North Optimist Foundation is conducting a Drive-Thru Toy Drive in the Community Center’s parking lot. It’s a family event – Santa will be there and candy canes will be available for the children as they make their toy or gift donation. Your unwrapped donations will be given to the Sharpsburg Family Worship Center for their “Give a Gift” holiday event, where parents and friends purchase gifts for children 18 and younger for as little as 50 cents an item. Donations need not be exclusively toys since there are teenagers who also benefit from the “Give a Gift” program.
Please try to stop by! The gifts and toys that are donated will help make the holiday season a special time for children in our area.
Many companies are currently running their annual United Way workplace giving campaigns. The Lauri Ann West Community Center is approved to receive funds through the United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania’s contributor choice program.
Designating your United Way pledge to the Center will go a long way to allowing us to keep providing services that our community needs right now. To ensure that your donation is designated properly, please be sure to use our code when submitting your United Way contributor choice form: #1203. Thank you!
From the Fox Chapel Area High School Counseling Department:
This week’s practice is perfect for the beautiful weather we’ve been having. Getting back to nature is easy because all you have to do is head outside. Find a place that has trees or flowers or maybe you prefer wide open spaces with views of the sky. Leave your work, your worries, and your lists behind. In this natural space, remember to breathe and do what feels right for you.
- You can find a spot in the sun or shade and take a seat. Close your eyes and open your ears to the sounds around you. Feel the sun, the breeze on your skin, and the earth beneath you. Smell the fresh air, the flowers, and the earthiness of the grass.
- If you like to move, go for a walk or a hike. Use your senses of sight, smell, and touch as you move through nature. Notice the colors and the sounds that are surrounding you.
- Mix things up a bit and change the time of day you go out. One day head out in the early morning. On another day go out after dark. Observe the changes at the different times of day. You can also plan breaks throughout your day to see what changes.
Make nature yours today. It’s a great way to have a little break while improving your mood and overall well-being.
“Worry never solves the future and always takes away energy from the present.” – Unknown
We unite and inspire our community – with your help. We are constantly assessing how we can best support our members and community. If you have ideas about ways that we can improve the Community Center, please feel free to contact us. We want to hear from you!